Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Housing Choice Voucher program (formerly Section 8), helps low-income families, individuals, seniors and people with disabilities pay their rent in apartments and houses owned by private and non-profit owners. The wait list is currently closed.

The Voucher program is funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). We currently assist about 1,850 households with safe, affordable housing in our community.

To qualify for the Voucher program, you must earn 50% or less of the area median income. Households pay approximately 30% percent of their income towards rent and utilities. The Voucher program pays the rest of the rent directly to the landlord. Voucher-holders select their own housing from units offered by private and non-profit landlords. The rent plus utilities for assisted housing must be at or below our Payment Standard. In addition, the housing unit must be inspected by our office and pass our Housing Quality Standards.

Foster Youth to Independence (FYI)

Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) vouchers provide dedicated rental assistance to support youth in two situations: youth exiting foster care who are at risk of homelessness, and youth who have become homeless (or at risk of homelessness after having been in foster care.

To qualify for the program, an individual must be between the ages of 18-24 (have not reached their 25th birthday), must have been in foster care between the ages of 16 and 18 years of age, and be homeless or at risk of homelessness.

The Housing Authority of Thurston County partners with Olive Crest, an FYI housing support provider, in the administration of the FYI program. If you are interested in applying for the FYI program, please go to Olive Crest’s website www.olivecrest.org/pnw-ils-and-housing/ and complete the Housing Referral Form.

Veterans Administration Supportive Housing (VASH)

The VASH voucher program assists homeless veterans. This program is a partnership between the Veterans Administration (VA), HUD, and the Housing Authority. The rental assistance is administered by the Housing Authority, and VA caseworkers provide counseling and support services. Veterans must be referred to us by the local Veterans Administration office.