Legal Assistance

What can I do if I need legal assistance?

First gather your documents.

  • When you speak with or meet with organizations providing legal assistance, be sure to bring or discuss any documents you have related to your case (letters, pictures, notices, lease, etc.)

Call 2-1-1 Washington Information Network (or visit their website) for referrals to agencies that may be able to help you. Keep in mind that some assistance programs may only be accessed through a 2-1-1 telephone screening.

  • Write down the contact information, hours of operation and eligibility info for agencies suggested by the 2-1-1 operator. Different programs will have different eligibility criteria
  • Make notes about the conversations (examples: “left message, need to call back” “appointment on Monday at 2 p.m.”)

Tip: Generally, lowest call volumes at 2-1-1 are on Wednesday and Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00p.m. Call from a landline if you have limited cell phone minutes.

Other legal resources:

Northwest Justice Project for all low-income people in Washington

Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services for free legal advice and assistance